Castle Peak Snowshoe
SIG 1MTN 1What is this?
CASTLE PEAK SNOWSHOE: Come enjoy the day as we snowshoe to the top of castle peak. If time allows we’ll head up Andesite Peak or head over to the Peter Grub Hut. Castle Peak has some of the most amazing views in the Truckee area. Loaner gear is available to paid members. Maximum: 10. Recommended participants are in good shape and able to hike over snow wearing snowhoes for at least 8 hrs. This is a beginners event.. For SMC paid or free members only. Not a member? Join here.
- HOW TO JOIN THE INTEREST LIST: Please read all the content of this posting, then if you are interested in attending, please sign in and join the interest list on this page, orange box top right. See section below titled "How to Join the Interest List"
- COST: Free to participate, however a Sno-Park Permit is required for parking. It can be purchased online or at retailers in Truckee.
- DATES: Saturday, March 25, 2017. Meet at Coffee Bar on the west side of Truckee to carpool at 8:00 am or meet where the snow meets the road (winter trailhead) at the Boreal exit at 8:30.
- LOCATION: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5350057.pdf (Hike #16--noted here as a ski, but it gives information about the area.)
- ROUTE: Moderate over snow. Depending on snow conditions can be rocky at the summit.
- EVENT LEADERS: Samaara Robbins, email@example.com, 530.414.4578
- MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM GROUP SIZE: Min 2, Max 10
- CLIMBING SKILLS REQUIREMENTS: In order to be best prepared to climb safely and effectively, participants should be able to in good physical/aerobic condition and be able to hike 8 hrs in a day. This hike will be leisurely (5-6 hrs). Overview all SMC Training Courses here.
- PERSONAL GEAR: Members are encouraged to use your own equipment. If you're missing something, club loaner gear may be available (except footwear). Please let the event leader know if you need something. All paid members receive significant discounts off ALL gear at Bobcat's Outdoor Adventure Sports, www.bobcatsoutdoor.com, (916) 505-7964, located at 1805 Tribute Rd. Suite H, Sacramento, CA 95815. Brands include ArcTeryx, Black Diamond, Petzl, Mountain Hardwear, La Sportiva, Outdoor Research, MSR, Grivel, Beal, Osprey and more.
- FITNESS AND DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Overall, this outing best fits in the "easy” category.
- GETTING THERE: At the Boreal exit off of I-80. Sno-Park is south of interstate. Meet on the snow just north of the exit. A Sno-Park Permit is required.
EMERGENCIES: First aid is available at Boreal Ski Resort. Nearest hospital is Tahoe Forest Hospital, 10121 Pine Ave, Truckee, CA 96161, 530.587.6011.
Join me for a fun leisurely beginner’s snowshoe hike up Castle Peak. We will follow a well-skied path to the ridge then continue our hike along the ridge to the summit. On the return if there is time and the group would like, we’ll hike up the ridge to Andesite Peak. This is mostly an out-and-back hike. This is a one-day outing in the mountains, approx. 3-5 miles with a little under 2,000-ft elevation gain. It is not technically challenging, but participants should be in good physical condition.
Day 1: Saturday, March 25, 2017
HOW TO JOIN THE INTEREST LIST:
Club climbing events are free of charge and open to all who have either a paid or free SMC Membership. After a conservative self-assessment, if you believe you will contribute to the safety and success of this event and would like to be considered, please sign in, then join the interest list on this posting, orange box, top right. For maximum member benefits we invite you to become a Full Member for $18.99/month.
HOW SELECTIONS WORK: Prior to the event, the leaders will select team members based on relevant experience, skill level, fitness, and teamwork, while keeping an eye toward achieving a balanced mix of individuals. We only consider those who are on the official interest list on this website, not the default "waitlist" on Meetup. Those that are selected from the official interest list on this website will be notified via email from Meetup and RSVPed to the final list on Meetup. Out of courtesy, if you are unable to attend after being RSVPed, please change your RSVP on Meetup and remove your name from the official interest list on the SMC website. You can check the status of your attendance on the event posting on Meetup, and the available spots on the posting on this website.
If you experience difficulties during the registration process, please send an email to our webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org
REQUIRED CLOTHING, EQUIPMENT AND GEAR
All paid members receive significant discounts off ALL gear at Bobcat's Outdoor Adventure Sports, www.bobcatsoutdoor.com, (916) 505-7964, located at 1805 Tribute Rd Suite H, Sacramento, CA 95815. Brands include ArcTeryx, Black Diamond, Petzl, Mountain Hardwear, La Sportiva, Outdoor Research, MSR, Grivel, Beal, Osprey and more.
- Wicking, breathable base layer, top and bottom
- Insulating, weather-resistant mid layer, top and bottom
- Wind and waterproof shell layer, top and bottom
- Insulating fill or down belay jacket
- Check weather, breathable short sleeve base layer may be appropriate
- Warm hat and/or balaclava
- Sun hat or covering
- Trekking poles
- Freeze-proof water bottles or container system
- Strong headlamp with fresh batteries
- Map and compass (if you’d like to practice these skills)
- Small personal first aid kit
- Optional items for consideration: altimeter, camera, small knife or multi-tool, bandana
*If you are without some of this important safety gear, it may be available for loan upon prior request, first-come, first serve (paid members only).
For help in selecting the appropriate item, please refer to the SMC Detailed Clothing, Equipment and Gear List
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THIS OUTING:
- This event is free of charge and available to the public. In order to attend, you must have a free or paid membership with the Sierra Mountaineering Club so that you can place your name on the interest list.
- Event leaders are board-approved volunteers.
- The club receives no direct financial gain for organizing and supporting this club outing. Donations are not solicited on club outings, nor is any exchange of money a requirement for participation. The outing is free to all qualified persons.
- Non-commercial wilderness, camping and /or backcountry permits will be acquired within the posted group size limits for this area, and will be carried with our party in the backcountry.
- Any fees associated with this outing are those that individuals would have incurred had they planned this event themselves, or are legitimate group costs such as lodging and pre-arranged transportation.
- All SMC outings practice Leave No Trace principles to be good stewards of our public lands and especially wilderness areas.
- Participant safety is our top priority. The itinerary described is the plan; however, circumstances beyond the leader's control may necessitate changes.
- The outing begins and ends at the trailhead. SMC does not insure ridesharing arrangements and assumes no oversight for them. Carpooling, ride sharing, or anything similar is strictly a private arrangement among the drivers and riders.
- SMC carries communication devices and a medical kit, and requires leaders to have current first aid and CPR training as well as climbing, leadership and SMC policy training.
Recommended Guide Services in California
We have worked with and recommend the following certified guide services:
Sierra Mountain Guides - http://www.sierramtnguides.com
Alpine Skills International - http://www.alpineskills.com
For more information or questions about this outing, please contact the listed event leaders.